Cortina, Alto Adige
A true family business started in 1969 by Alfons Giovanett. The winery is now run by his son Günther who took over the management of the winery in 1989 and at the same time, relocated the operations to the small village of Cortina/ Kurtinig in the very south of Alto Adige. Today the Castelfeder Winery is in the middle of South Tyrol’s southernmost vineyards, where mostly white grape varieties flourish. The administrative office however is still located in the historical center of Egna/Neumarkt. The purchase of new vineyards and close collaboration with other winegrowers in the area offer Günther new possibilities of producing great wines through careful selection of the best production areas and focused cultivation of choice varietals; a job he performs with enthusiasm. His two children are continuing the family business, Ivan as the head winemaker and director of viticulture/ production and Ines as the sales and marketing manager.
The vines thrive in the special alpine terroir with different elevations, exposures, diverse soil types and a variation of microclimates. Overall, the area is influenced by Mediterranean climate that bursts 300 days of sun per year.
Today Castelfeder cultivates 173 acres of vineyards over a 30 km stretch from from Merano to Salorno. 70 % are white varieties with a concentration on Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon. The remaining 30 % are red grape varieties, and here the Pinot Noir is clearly in the focus. Since 2011 the family is also dedicated to the Mosel region of Germany, cultivating the steep slope Riesling vineyard Sorentberg. Despite new challenges such as climate change, market expansion and new trends in the wine industry, the family has managed to balance between tradition and modernity, with great sensitivity.
Latest wine scores in International Magazines:
2021 Kerner 'Lahn' - 91 Vinous
2021 Pinot Grigio '15' - 91 Vinous
Mont Mes Pinot Grigio
Mont Mes Cuvée Bianco
Mont Mes Cuvée Rosso
Pinot Grigio '15"
Müller Thurgau “Gassner”
Vernatsch 'Alte Reben'
Pinot Nero 'Glen'
Pinot Nero 'Burgum Novum'